What is Radon?
Radon is a cancer causing radioactive gas. Barney Watson, radon expert and owner of Lake Gaston Radon LLC, tells his clients “Don’t be fooled into thinking that just because you can’t see it or smell it that radon is anything to mess around with – it is lethal.”
Radon gas decays into radioactive particles that can get trapped in your lungs when you breathe. As they break down further, these particles release small bursts of energy. This can damage lung tissue and lead to lung cancer over the course of your lifetime. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the US today. Smoking is the number one cause. It is reported that more than 22,000 people die from radon-induced lung cancer each year. Not everyone exposed to elevated levels of radon will develop lung cancer. The amount of time between exposure and the onset of the disease may be many years.
How does radon get into my home?
Radon can build up in homes, schools, offices – any type of building. It is found all over the United States.
Radon Gets Through:
- Cracks in solid floors.
- Construction joints.
- Cracks in walls.
- Gaps in suspended floors.
- Gaps around service pipes.
- Cavities inside walls.
- The water supply.
Testing is the only way to know if you are at risk from radon. EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing all homes below the third floor for radon.
Here is a link to the EPA ” A Citizen’s Guide to Radon – The Guide to Protecting Yourself and Your Family from Radon”